Sunday, January 3, 2010

old-fashioned sugar cookies!

here is the famous cookbook! this cookbook belongs to my mother. it was given to her when she got married. it is copyrighted in 1963 and is a little tattered and worn but it holds the best and easiest old-fashioned sugar cookie recipe. she has been making these since i can remember. these sugar cookies are my favorite cookies ever! (her jam thumbprint cookies are second!)


look at the stained and worn pages.

the inside of the cookbook has different spices listed in green and blue.


the pictures inside are so vintage. i love it!


these sugar cookies are so versatile! she has made them for baby showers, wedding showers, easter, christmas, valentines day, and my son's first birthday. she has made many shapes, my favorite would be the different animals for noah's "ark" themed birthday. they are so pretty and classic. something even martha would love. one of my sweet bloggy friends suggested i should share the recipe. so, here it is!




*old-fashioned sugar cookies*



4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 cup soft butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup dairy sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract



~sift flour with baking powder, soda, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.

~in large bowl of electric mixer, at medium speed, beat butter, sugar, and egg until light and fluffy.

~at low speed, beat in sour cream and vanilla until smooth.

~gradually add flour mixture, beating until well combined.

~with rubber scraper, form dough into a ball. wrap in waxed paper or foil; refrigerate several hours or even overnight.

~divide dough into 4 parts. refrigerate until ready to roll out.

~meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F. lightly grease cookie sheets.

~on well-floured surface, roll dough, one part at a time, 1/4 inch thick.

~then cut with floured cookie cutter.

~bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.

~remove to wire rack, cool.



*icing*



~melt 1/2 cup butter, add 1 teaspoon vanilla.

~then add 2+ cups of powdered sugar until mixture is dry and chunky.

~then add half and half in sugar until mixture is smooth, creamy, and thick enough to stay on cookie.

(my mom's tip: use your fingertip to ice cookies.)


let me know if you bake these yummies!


enjoy!

*julie

ps. i joined in at diy with kimba and get your craft on!

21 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Now you have to share a picture of the cookies themselves - my mouth is watering over here! Nothing beats the old-fashioned way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that mom's little comments are written in the margins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh julie! what a treasure! i love the vibrant cover and the blues and greens. but most of all... i love the handwriting at the bottom of the page. a very precious and real gift...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old cookbooks! a great treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I love sugar cookies. The cookbook is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar cookies are my favorite. Doing a no sugar thing right now, so bummer. Loved the beatup old cookbook. It means alot to me to have things from my family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, old cookbooks are the best. You are lucky to have that one from your Mom! So cool. I would love to try these cookies. Who can resist a good sugar cookie? Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! I'm SO excited to try these cookies! I Love that the story of the recipe is wrapped up in a fond memory of your family cookbook. My family will be getting a very special treat this week. Thanks Sharing and Thanks for listening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. homemade surgar cookies are my all time fave
    all time!
    happy new year julie
    you are always such a sweet blog friend to me
    blessings
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your so lucky to have such a treasure! I'd love to try the recipe...I bet it is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a treasure! My mom has a cool cookbook from the 60s also but my sister has already claimed it as her own. NUTS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet cook book. The worn pages are a tribute to the food covered hands that used it. Love that! The recipe looks like a must-try...just as I was trying to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great recipe and stopping by my lil blog. I definately will try this, maybe with some Valentine or Easter cutouts. Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As Julie's sister, I can atest these are the best cookies ever! My friends love them, when I save them some. I end up eating most of them myself! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum!!! I am not a big baker, but I could do this! They look so good. And, I love the old cookbook and that it belongs to your mom.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember an old book of my mothers.....she lost it about 10 yrs ago sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for stopping by, Julie. I still use my Betty Crocker cookbook my mother gave to me in 1975. The baking recipes are better in that cookbook than any I've found since.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love cookbooks and those handed down with meaning are the best! The cookies look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Mom has an ancient paperback Joy of Cooking cookbook and my sister and I adore baking out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so lucky to have your Mom's cookbook. And I see she likes to write in her cookbooks like I do! This looks like a really flavorful sugar cookie. Can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post! I LOVE that cookbook!

    I would also love your support on the ELLE DECOR window that I decorated for the Big Window Challenge this year. As we all know, AT doesn't make it easy, but you can vote TWICE a day. Once online & the other by texting "1" to 89800.

    Your support means the world to me!!

    xo,
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete

i love comments! let me know you stopped by for a visit!